The French press brewing method continues to be one of the most popular ways of making a cup of coffee.Now, as you know if you practice the French press process, getting the correct grind is critical to producing the best brew.
Of course, the higher the quality of your coffee beans, the better the flavor your brew will have. However, even the most expensive coffee beans that money can buy will not taste as good if you get the grind wrong.
Too fine and you will get little bits of coffee bean slipping through the screen in your press. Too coarse and you won’t be able to draw out the full flavor of your beans.
If you are looking for the best coffee grinder for French press, we have compiled 4 grinders that are worth looking into.
- Baratza Encore Conical Burr Coffee Grinder
The Baratza Encore Conical Burr Coffee Grinder is ideal for a coarse grind, which is one of the keys to great French press coffee.
It’s electric, so it is a bit louder compared to manual grinders; however, it also delivers consistent and fast power to the burr-covered grinding drum.
It’s a reliable, straightforward tool that is ideal for home brewing beginners. It is also super easy to clean and maintain, and only takes up a modest square of counter space.
The Baratza Encore Conical Burr Coffee Grinder has adjustable grind settings, a manual grinding button, and an on and off switch. That’s it. You can be unencumbered by extra settings and you can get right down to making your coffee.
Simply twist the bean hopper to one of its 40 settings and take your coffee through a test brew – while 40 might seem low, this machine can grind between 250 and 1200 microns for a wide array of brew methods.
With 40mm built-in conical steel burrs, the Baratza Encore Conical Burr Coffee Grinder can grind from espresso to French press.
On the coarsest setting, the Baratza Encore had a few fines with the coarser grounds; however, this is pretty typical of grinders – the coarser you go, the more inconsistency you will see in a grinder.
On the other hand, when you move a couple of settings inward from the coarsest, the consistency improves.
The Baratza Encore Conical Burr Coffee Grinder is compact, efficient, and easy to use making it a top choice for entry-level grinders.
Baratza Encore Conical Burr Coffee Grinder
- SPECIALTY COFFEE ASSOCIATION AWARD WINNING GRINDERS - Baratza grinders are preferred by coffee professionals and backed by Baratza’s world class support.
- GO-TO ENTRY LEVEL GRINDER - Baratza’s best-selling grinder, with its small footprint, is THE choice for brewing coffee at home. Available in White or Black.
- USER FRIENDLY - A convenient, front-mounted pulse button, plus a simple ON/OFF switch make it easy to grind fresh coffee.
- 40 GRIND SETTINGS - Engineered with 40mm commercial-grade conical burrs that help you explore the extensive range of brew methods (espresso, Aeropress, Hario V60, Chemex, French Press, and automatic brewers).
- WARRANTY/QUALITY PARTS - Hardened alloy steel burrs manufactured in Liechtenstein, Europe, plus a powerful DC motor. This combination creates a consistent grind and durability to ensure the longevity users have come to expect from the Baratza brand. The Encore is backed by Baratza’s world class support and a 1 year warranty. 2020 Update has exact same trusted functionality with a sleek new exterior.
- JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder
If you don’t like the noise of electric grinders, the JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder is a great alternative that you should consider.
The JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder is a high-quality machine that boasts a remarkable number of features at a low price point.
It features 18 built-in adjustable grind settings, providing you with total control over the coarseness of your grinds.
It is also fairly easy to use – you simply need to measure out your beans, pour them into the cylinder, turn the crank, and your grounds fall into a handy little cup on the bottom that is great for dumping into your French press.
The results are accurate, consistent, and delicious. Requiring no power cord or battery, this stainless steel grinder also features a removable hand crank.
This mechanism is smooth and virtually silent – it is designed to work with less than 90% of the noise produced by electric grinders.
Furthermore, the JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder features ceramic burrs that are thoroughly tested to make certain that they will last up to five times longer compared to stainless steel blades.
The JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder is quiet and is easy to use. Furthermore, the unit is small enough to be portable, so if you want to grind your French press coffee when you’re traveling or when you are at work, you can.
JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder with Adjustable Setting - Conical Burr Mill & Brushed Stainless Steel Whole Bean Burr Coffee Grinder for Aeropress, Drip Coffee, Espresso, French Press, Turkish Brew
- BUILT-IN ADJUSTABLE GRIND SELECTOR - with over 18 click settings ensures you have 100% precision & control over the coarseness of your coffee beans making for the perfect grind to start your day.
- CONVENIENT & EASY TO USE: Our removable hand crank mechanism consistently eliminates over 90% of the noise that electric grinders produce. No batteries, power, or long plastic cords needed to operate your portable compact manual grinder.
- PATENTED CERAMIC COMBO BURRS - Our signature burr grinder blades are designed and tested through three professional grade inspections to last 5x's longer than stainless steel blades.
- COFFEE IS IN OUR DNA - Each JavaPresse product is designed to liberate and empower you to transform your favorite whole bean coffee ritual into an extraordinary daily experience.
- FREE COFFEE - Every Javapresse grinder comes with an unique code to redeem a free bag of whole bean coffee ($21.99 value).
- Cuisinart DBM-8 Supreme Automatic Burr Coffee-Grinder Mill
The Cuisinart DBM-8 Supreme Automatic Burr Coffee-Grinder Mill is an entry-level, budget-friendly grinder that has the added benefit of having a burr mill instead of blades.
It’s fast, and because it features a burr grinder, it grinds to the accuracy of the setting that you have it turned to.
The Cuisinart DBM-8 Supreme Automatic Burr Coffee-Grinder Mill offers 18 stepped grind-size adjustments, from fine to coarse.
To grind for French press, you will have to choose the coarser settings. This machine can grind for 12 cups of coffee in about 40 seconds, and 18 cups in 44 seconds.
However, grinding time depends on what coffee beans you are using, what type of coffee you are making, etc.
The Cuisinart DBM-8 Supreme Automatic Burr Coffee-Grinder Mill is a beginner’s grinder and is fairly easy to use.
You simply have to plug it in, load the beans into the hopper, and ensure that the grounds bin is in the right position.
Then, all you have to do is choose the grind setting by twisting the hopper, select the number of cups to grind for (from 4 – 18), and push the start button.
If you want to grind just enough for one cup, you can stop grinding midway by switching the cup selector off.
Despite having an all-plastic body, the Cuisinart DBM-8 Supreme Automatic Burr Coffee-Grinder Mill’s fit and finish are up to the standards of Cuisinart’s top products.
The exterior of the grinder has an aluminum finish and has black accents, which gives it a sleek look.
SaleCuisinart DBM-8 Supreme Grind Automatic Burr Mill
- Removable grind chamber holds enough ground coffee for 32 cups. Dimensions : 6.00 L x 7.13 W x 10.75 H inches. Cord length : 34 Inches
- Capresso 560.01 Infinity Conical Burr
If you are serious about grinding coffee for your French press, you should definitely consider the Capresso 560.01 Infinity Conical Burr.
The Capresso 560.01 Infinity Conical Burr coffee grinder is a commercial-grade machine that has solid, conical steel burrs that ensure high-precision grinding.
This machine offers a grinding range that goes from ultra-fine to coarse. With built-in steel conical burrs, the Capresso 560.01 Infinity Conical Burr grinds beans with ease.
However, it doesn’t grind quickly – but that is actually a good thing! The lower RPM (rotations per minute) of the steel burrs results in less heat and friction build-up.
This means that you are less likely to burn your beans, which can help retain the flavor profile. Moreover, the slower speed makes this grinder very quiet.
The Capresso 560.01 Infinity Conical Burr is a great choice for home brewers who are looking to make rich and smooth French press at home.
The broad range on the Capresso 560.01 Infinity Conical Burr offers numerous grind options, so you will be able to dial in and customize your consistency.
Capresso 560.01 Infinity Conical Burr Grinder, Black
- PRECISION GRINDING: Commercial-grade, solid steel conical burrs with advanced cutting design
- WIDE GRINDING RANGE: From ultrafine Turkish to French Press coarse and everything in between
- PRESERVES AROMA: Gear reduction motor grinds slow with reduced noise and little static build-up
- LARGE CAPACITY: 8.8 ounce bean container and 4 ounce ground coffee container.Watts/Volts/Hertz: 100W/120V/60Hz
- EASY TO CLEAN: Removable upper burr allows access for easy cleaning
Fresh coffee is one of life’s small pleasures – you owe it to yourself to get the right grinder that will help you make the best French press possible.
We hope that this guide for the best coffee grinder for French press has given you some useful pointers.