Coffee is loved and drunk by people all around the world. There are many coffee shops in various sizes – from pop-up stalls and cafes to worldwide franchises. These coffee businesses work because people love getting a delicious, rich cup of Joe made with the best espresso beans available.Some coffee drinkers prefer flavor over ambiance, while others prefer grinding their own beans and experimenting with different brew times and grinds.
Quick NavigationComparison ChartBest Espresso Beans Reviews1. Kicking Horse Cliff Hanger Espresso2. Lavazza Super Crema Espresso3. Two Volcanoes Espresso Blend4. Koffee Cartel El Capo Blend5. Coffee Bean Direct Italian Roast EspressoFINAL VERDICT
If you want the best espresso beans to make luscious, full-bodied coffee, here are the top 5 espresso beans to make your own smooth, flavorful brew.
Best Espresso Beans Reviews
1. Kicking Horse Cliff Hanger Espresso
If you are looking for a smooth, silky, chocolaty coffee, this bright yet strong blend may be just what you are looking for.
Cliff Hanger Espresso is a sumptuous medium roast made with organic, kosher coffee beans that are grown in Central and South America, Indonesia and Africa. It is bold, fresh, smooth and full-bodied, ensuring a delicious cup of coffee every time.At 3000-feet above sea level, these premium coffee beans are perfectly roasted. The coffee tastes and smells inviting, and it is uncommon to find a medium roast that has a flavor as rich as this coffee.The aroma of this coffee is slightly fruity with a hint of chocolate. Many drinkers find it difficult to describe the flavor, but often use words such as bold, divine, and rich – just what you want in an espresso bean.The bright, frothy crema that forms on top adds an appealing touch to this espresso blend. Each sip packs a kick – just like its name says. This certified organic coffee is also free of additives, which gives you a blissfully pure taste that will have you coming back for more.
- One Bag of Cliff Hanger Espresso Whole Bean Blend
- Roast: Medium
- Certifications: Certified Organic, Fairtrade, Kosher Coffee
What’s to like about the Kicking Horse Cliff Hanger Espresso
- This bean is stronger than most medium blends
- It has a rich flavor with chocolaty notes
- 100% certified organic with no additives
What’s not to like about the Kicking Horse Cliff Hanger Espresso
- This is a very dark and oily coffee bean
- Has a nice aroma when you open the bag, but loses most of it once brewed
2. Lavazza Super Crema Espresso
If you enjoy the taste of smooth Brazilian coffee, sweet and delicate Indonesian coffee and bold Central American coffee, then this product is for you.
The Lavazza Espresso creates a wonderful super crema that gives the coffee a long-lasting, velvety taste. These beans are ideal for espressos and drip coffee, and can be either fine or coarse ground.One package of these beans makes over 125 cups of coffee, which is very impressive. If you would like to use these beans in your espresso machine, the non-oiliness of them allows you to do so. Oily coffee beans tend to clog up coffee machines, but these are safe to use.Lavazza coffee beans are used not only in private homes but also in many Italian restaurants and coffee shops as the flavor is authentic and smooth.Proper care has been taken not to burn these beans, so there is no bitter aftertaste. The coffee beans are evenly roasted, exuding a warm aroma as you grind them. This is an indication that the coffee beans haven’t been over-roasted and stripped of their natural oils.
- One bag of 2.2 lb Lavazza Super Crema Whole Bean Coffee Blend
- Roast: Light/ Medium
- Taste: Mild and creamy
- Aromatic Notes: Hazelnut and brown sugar
- Blend: 60% Arabica and 40% Robusta
What’s to like about the Lavazza Super Crema Espresso
- Has a strong coffee flavor with a very mild chocolate flavor
- Beans are not oily so they can be used in espresso machines
- The roast is lighter, allowing for the sweetness of the bean to shine through
What’s not to like about the Lavazza Super Crema Espresso
- These beans may not be as bold as some people may prefer
3. Two Volcanoes Espresso Blend
This dark Guatemalan roast is one of the most delicious blends available, and you can easily brew it in your own home.
The Two Volcanoes Espresso Blend is grown, processed and packaged in one location, then exported immediately to guarantee that the coffee beans are as fresh and flavorful as possible. The awesome coffee journey starts when you open the package and smell the rich aroma of the finest Guatemalan coffee beans.The coffee beans are grown in the mountains at the base of Guatemala’s Tajumulco and Tajana volcanoes. Volcanic soil offers fertile ground where high-quality coffee beans can grow. The volcanic soil also gives these beans their exclusive and unique flavor that can’t be found anywhere else in the world.Most gourmet coffee can only be purchased at coffee stores at high prices, but as Two Volcanoes grow, process, package and export their own coffee, they can offer delicious, gourmet coffee at a much lower price, allowing you to enjoy the very best espresso beans in your own home.
- GREAT TASTING PREMIUM GOURMET COFFEE GUARANTEED - Organically cultivated, processed and packed in origin, all in Guatemala, guarantees the highest quality and best possible taste ever. Packed with a special degassing valve also guarantees you will always receive a fresh product.
- EXPERIENCE WHAT HIGH GOURMET, PERFECT DARK ROAST IS ALL ABOUT - Finally a gourmet coffee you can taste at home without the price tag of a high end coffee shop. Delight yourself, your family and your friends to a coffee experience like no other.
- QUALITY LIKE NO OTHER - Coffee beans from one of the top 10 producing countries in the world. Delicious Blend from San Marcos, Antigua and Huehuetenango. Specially made for Espresso Coffee with Arabica and Robusta beans.
- DELICIOUS FLAVOR MIXED WITH FRUITY AND WOODEN NOTES IS AN EXPERIENCE YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS - Grown organically to enhance the flavor and smell of each and every bean of this great coffee, will make you wonder why you didn't find this coffee before.
- GREAT PRICE EXLUSIVELY ON AMAZON - This coffe would cost you double in other places, but due to a special negotiation with Amazon, you can buy it at an amazing great price. Guaranteed to Love it or Your Money Back. Great as a gift!
What’s to like about the Two Volcanoes Espresso Blend
- Beans are grown in volcanic soil which gives them a unique flavor
- Rich dark roast gives a great flavor
- Good price for a high-quality product
What’s not to like about the Two Volcanoes Espresso Blend
- Some people found that there was a slightly burnt and bitter aftertaste
4. Koffee Cartel El Capo Blend
This single origin coffee is one of the most addictive coffee beans you will ever try due to the smooth, dark, vibrant roast that is as unique as it is delicious.
Koffee Cartel coffee is crafted with premium Arabica coffee beans grown in El Salvador’s tropical mountains. These beans are produced in small amounts in humid weather conditions and are grown in volcanic soil to give you a warm and full-bodied flavor you will love from the moment you try it.These coffee beans are not oily and can be used in your coffee maker, French press or even for cold brewing and iced coffees.The coffee beans are only sourced from known plantations, where the coffee beans are hand-picked and sun-dried. They are carefully cultivated to ensure top quality coffee beans that exude exotic flavors and bold aromas.Each batch of coffee beans is roasted just enough to bring out the rich aroma and smooth flavor that is inherent in each bean. Each cup of Koffee Cartel’s El Capo blend is a delicious balance of floral and nutty notes offset by seductive chocolate tones that offer a mouth-watering flavor that is unmatched by most other coffee brands.
- BEST TASTE, INTENSE AROMA – Fresh roasted Arabica coffee beans offer a rich, delicious dark roast coffee experience full of unforgettable deep chocolate, nutty and floral tasting notes.
- SMALL BATCH, FRESH ROAST – All of our whole bean coffee is fresh-roasted in micro-batches to ensure that you get some of the world's best coffee and seed-to-cup experience.Make the switch from Robusta Coffee and taste the difference for yourself you will not be disappointed.
- BLIND TASTE TESTED – Independent Baristas prefer our premium whole bean coffee dark roast 9/10 times over market leading Costa Rican, Colombian and Brazilian coffee brands in independent test. Try it today, we guarantee you'll love it!
- BEST ARTISAN COFFEE EXPERIENCE – Koffee Cartel works directly with coffee plantations, that produce these amazing coffee beans. We only source our coffee from our family and friends in El Salvador, that take great care during the cultivation process, to select the best quality beans. HAND-SELECTED Coffee Beans – from El Salvador, our dark roast Arabica coffee beans are exceptionally smooth with a powerful heavy body.
- MAKE A DIFFERENCE – Koffee Cartel believes in giving back to the coffee communities in El Salvador that have been affected by gang violence by allocating a percentage of all sales to help bring clean water and health services.
What’s to like about the Koffee Cartel El Capo Blend
- Hand-picked and sun-dried beans lock in a vibrant flavor
- This coffee can be used in espresso machines, French presses or to make iced coffee and cold brews
- Rich, smooth, bold flavor that most people enjoy
What’s not to like about the Koffee Cartel El Capo Blend
- The flavor is not as bold as some expected it to be
5. Coffee Bean Direct Italian Roast Espresso
Coffee Bean Direct is known for their unique and flavorful blends, and their Italian Roast Espresso blend is no different.
Just before these coffee beans are packaged, they are freshly slow-roasted to guarantee a delicious, aromatic, fresh bag of coffee. As they are packaged as whole beans, they stay fresher for longer, only releasing their full flavor when they are ground.This coffee is a blend of seductive Italian roasted beans that are oily, black, rich and bold in flavor, making them perfect for espressos and iced coffees. Despite being a dark roast, they have a fresh and light flavor with a smooth aftertaste and a low acid content.This coffee is a very dark brew once you make it and has a very full-bodied flavor to it. Some people prefer using it in iced coffee rather than drinking it as an espresso. The pleasant darker toned crema on top of the coffee is nice too.This bag of coffee is ideal for regular coffee drinkers as it comes in a 5-pound bag which should be used within three months from the date it is packaged.The package contains whole grain beans which capture the true flavor of this rich Italian roast. Coffee Bean Direct packages their coffee immediately after they are roasted, locking in the luscious aroma for you to enjoy.
- Italian Roast Espresso: A rich, full bodied gourmet coffee with a big bite, featuring a toasty, honeyed aroma; A dark roast blend with flavor notes of cocoa and smoky molasses for a vibrant and strong taste
- Happiness is Brewing: We source coffee from Brazil, Costa Rica, Sumatra, Kenya and more to find the most flavorful beans for your next cup. Try iced, as cold brew, with a French press, AeroPress or pour over
- So Many Choices: We're passionate about coffee; Try our product lines of Single Origin, Decaffeinated, Blends, and Tea; Also explore our light, medium and dark roasts
- Expertly Roasted: Expect more from our beans than just a jolt of caffeine; We offer coarse, finely ground, and whole bean options; Enjoy peak flavor and aroma in your latte, mocha, espresso or drip
- Coffee Bean Direct: Our dedication to roasting expertise, modern convenience, and fair pricing allows us to bring you the best coffees and teas imaginable in artisanal blends and flavors
What’s to like about the Coffee Bean Direct Italian Roast Espresso
- Despite being a dark roast, the coffee is smooth and not too acidic
- Medium ground beans will give you a great cup of full-bodied coffee
- Great to use in an iced coffee or a latte
- The coffee gives a good caffeine kick without being too strong
What’s not to like about the Coffee Bean Direct Italian Roast Espresso
- The oiliness of the beans can change the taste of the coffee
- Not ideal to use in an espresso machine
Not all beans are equal – they don’t have the same taste, quality, aroma or texture. Each type of bean has different characteristics that you may or may not like. Any of the beans on this list will offer you a great cup of coffee, but you should consider what you want in your coffee’s flavor.Our recommendation for the best coffee is the Lavazza Super Crema Espresso because it has a strong coffee flavor with just a mild hint of chocolate. These beans are also not oily, making them ideal to use in an espresso machine or coffee maker.
Although the roast is lighter and less bold than some would prefer, the sweetness of the bean shines through in every cup, making it a great treat in the morning or evening.
Amazon Disclaimer: prices updated on 2023-12-01 / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API