Coffee can easily be considered the most popular and widely-drunk beverage in the world and is one that some people cannot do without.
One of the most popular types of coffee is espresso. This strong, rich, bold coffee originated in Italy, like many other kinds of coffee such as the cappuccino, freddo, macchiato, and latte.
Although there are plenty of coffee shops and cafes that serve decadent coffees, there is nothing better than making espresso at home, just the way you like it. But to do so, you need a top-quality espresso machine.
Not everyone has heaps of money to fork out for an espresso machine, so we have compiled a list of the top 5 espresso machine under $200.
Best Espresso Machines Under $200 Reviews
1. Mr. Coffee Café Barista Espresso Maker
If you would like an espresso maker that is both semi-automatic and very reasonably priced, the Mr. Coffee Espresso Maker may be just the machine for you.
This compact espresso maker offers more than just great coffee making abilities – it looks great in modern kitchens and is small enough to fit on any countertop. It is very easy to use, which is a surprise for an espresso machine that can also make cappuccinos and lattes.
This coffee maker has one-touch controls that allow you to make a single or double shot of espresso, a latte or cappuccino. This option is great for beginners and those who want to make a cup of coffee without the fuss of fiddling with brewing settings.
If you enjoy frothed or steamed milk on your coffee, this machine has an automatic milk frother which will froth your milk to perfection based on the froth level you select. The milk and coffee are poured by the machine, making this the easiest experience imaginable.
This Mr. Coffee machine has a 15-bar pump which extracts big flavor from your coffee grounds. It is also very easy to clean, with its removable drip tray and water tank.
The machine is a little bit noisy, but this is made up for with the well-crafted portafilter, the measuring scoop and tamper and the single and double shot filter.
- Semi automatic 3 in 1 espresso maker, cappuccino maker, and latte maker
- 15 Bar Pump System Brews Rich Tasting Espresso Coffee
- Trouble Free Automatic Milk Frother Removes the Guesswork. Do not wash the water reservoir in the dishwasher
- One touch control panel for drink selections
- Easy fill, removable water and milk reservoirs
What's to like about the Mr. Coffee Café Barista Espresso Maker
- Has a large 55-ounce water reservoir
- The automatic built-in frother add convenience
- Can brew up to a 15-ounce beverage
- Comes with a tamper
What's not to like about the Mr. Coffee Café Barista Espresso Maker
- The frother needs to be cleaned and maintained regularly
- The machine is quite loud
2. Gourmia Coffee Machine
This single serve Gourmia coffee machine boasts a milk frother and is K-cup and espresso multi-capsule compatible, allowing you to make delicious coffee in the comfort of your kitchen.
Gourmia has incorporated its exclusive adaptor system “CoffeeCart”, allowing you to switch between K-cups and espresso capsules in just a couple of seconds, making this machine a convenient two-in-one. Add to that the built-in milk frother and you can make a decadent latte, cappuccino, café au lait, café mocha or macchiato at home.
The Gourmia machine is fully automated and has no complicated dials or controls. You simply choose whether you want a single serve or a large cup and press brew. The digital display is easy to read and allows you to set your temperature and cup size.
The electromagnetic 19-bar pump system regulates the pressure, making sure that you experience the best possible extraction rivaling that of café espresso machines. The automatic eject and collect feature ejects the used capsules and cups into the storage container, eliminating mess.
- Multi Capsule: features revolutionary compatibility with K-Cup and espresso. Completely eliminates the need for two separate machines.
- Fully customizable: feel free to get picky. Use the simple arrow controls and visual LED display to adjust your desired brewing temperature and cup size.
- Max extraction: unleash perfectly precise brewing with just a touch. Features automatic pressure regulation, and a unique 19 bar extraction system for the boldest espressos.
- Convenient features: comes equipped with color-coded Coffee and espresso cartridge Loading sets, flip down demitasse shot platform, 14 Capsule auto eject/collect system, removable 40 oz Water reservoir and drip tray.
- Etl certified: We, at Gourmia, take the quality of our products seriously. This product is ETL certified so you can be confident that you’re receiving a safe, efficient, high quality appliance.
What's to like about the Gourmia Coffee Machine
- Built-in milk frother adds variety to your coffee
- Fully automated machine makes it easy to select what you want
- The machine is compatible with espresso capsules and K-cups
What's not to like about the Gourmia Coffee Machine
- No significant cons
3. Hamilton Beach Espresso Maker
This coffee machine offers excellent extraction and a rich, vibrant crema. You can enjoy the taste of a high-quality cappuccino or espresso every morning for a fraction of the price of café-bought coffees.
This espresso maker is inspired by the decadent coffee served in European cafés, and allows you to indulge in flavorful, rich espresso, latte, or cappuccino from the comfort of your kitchen.
Hamilton Beach has found the perfect balance between a top-quality espresso machine and an easy-to-operate espresso maker. The slide and lock technology patented by Hamilton Beach makes it easy to make café-quality espresso with ease.
You can choose between using a pod or finely ground coffee grounds and you can select your espresso and steam settings using the convenient dial.
This machine has been specially designed with a space-saving shape and is smaller than commercial café machines. Despite this, it has a powerful 15-bar pump that extracts well and gives a rich, thick crema.
Accented with sleek stainless steel, this espresso machine has a removable water tank for easy refilling and a steam wand for easy frothing and steaming. The machine is also easy to clean, making the experience even more enjoyable.
- CAFE-QUALITY RESULTS: Indulge in espresso, cappuccinos and lattes right at home using either espresso pods or ground espresso.
- 15 BAR ITALIAN PUMP: Supplies the pressure necessary for excellent extraction and rich crema.
- EASY SETUP: No fiddling with brew heads in hard-to-access areas – just slide the patented Slide & Lock portafilter into place from the front of the machine and lock it on the side.
- SWIVELING STEAM WAND: Lets you steam and froth milk for cappuccinos and lattes.
- CUP WARMER: Keeps cups warm until serving time.
What's to like about the Hamilton Beach Espresso Maker
- Milk frother works effectively to produce great froth
- The machine has a fast brewing time
- The removable drip tray makes for easy cleaning
What's not to like about the Hamilton Beach Espresso Maker
- The water is not as hot as most other machines
- The machine occasionally gets clogged
4. Nescafe Dolce Gusto Espresso Machine
The Esperta is a DeLonghi creation that allows you to make decadent premium roast espresso, coffee, latte, macchiato and iced coffee drinks.
The Esperta machine is a capsule-based system which can brew a variety of coffees in different sizes, from 1.2 ounces to 12 ounces, with six sizes in between.
You can choose from hot or cold brews, and this espresso machine makes use of milk pods rather than a milk frother. The milk pods are specially designed to perfectly round off your foam-based coffee drinks. This machine has a high build quality, promising durability and longevity.
The flexibility to brew both hot and cold coffee beverages in a variety of sizes makes this one of the most versatile espresso machines on the market. This machine also has a 15-bar pressure pump which draws out every bit of the capsule’s aromatic flavor.
The LED display and scroll wheel allow you to customize your coffee settings, including the size and strength of your coffee. The large 60-ounce water reservoir adds to the convenience of this already high-performing espresso machine.
- Professional-grade pressure based system extracts and squeezes more flavor, aroma and body from the Coffee and produced Thick velvety cream.
- Patented smart capsule system, compatible with hermetically sealed Nescafe Dolce gusto capsules.
- Customize your Coffee by varying the size and intensity of your Beverage using the control feature bars, up to 12 ounce
- Brews 30 selections of both hot and cold beverages, including coffees, teas, Espresso, cappuccino, latte macchiato, and hot chocolate one minute or less
- Eco-mode: automatic switch-off after 5 minutes. Energy consumption rating: A
What's to like about the Nescafe Dolce Gusto Espresso Machine
- Brews up to 12 ounce beverages
- Can make hot and cold beverages
- Makes a thick, rich crema similar to commercial espresso machines
- The 2-year warranty speaks to its durability
What's not to like about the Nescafe Dolce Gusto Espresso Machine
- Ordering the pods for this machine can be a tricky and costly
- There aren’t many adjustable functions or settings
5. Nespresso Essenza Mini Espresso Machine
The Essenza Mini is Nespresso’s most compact espresso machine yet. It packs a lot of punch, though, and the taste seems bigger despite its smaller size.
This Nespresso machine has two programmable cup sizes – lungo and espresso. It is easy to use, intuitive and has a quick 30-second heat-up system and a 19-bar pump that enables you to make barista-perfect coffee every time. This machine is compatible with all Nespresso capsules.
As its name says, this machine is small and compact, but it still has a decent 20.3-ounce water reservoir. The machine switches to an energy-saving standby mode after 3 minutes and powers off automatically after 9 minutes.
The compact machine boasts rounded edges and a modern curvy design, and is easy to store in cupboards on your countertop. Its size also makes it portable, so you can move it to the dining room after parties or take it along when you go camping.
The Essenza Mini creates a lusciously dense crema on the top of every espresso, hiding the delicate flavors of the rich coffee below to be discovered.
- Performance: Create a barista-style coffee or Espresso drinks every time, thanks to our one-touch operation and extraction system which delivers up to 19 bars of pressure.
- Size: Discover the newest and smallest ever single-serve Espresso maker from espresso by De'Longhi, without compromising on exceptional Coffee and espresso moments. This compact Espresso machine is effortlessly portable and features a sleek design and modern smooth lines, allowing it to fit into anywhere saving valuable counter space.
- Energy efficient Coffee machine: In just one touch, the water reaches the ideal serving temperature in under 30 seconds and an energy saving mode automatically switches off the machine after 9 minutes.
- Complimentary gift: Each Espresso machine includes an Espresso Original capsule welcome kit with a range of capsules with unique aroma profile.
- Versatility: Adjustable cup size with two programmable Espresso (1. 35 oz.) and Lungo (5 oz.) buttons, making Essen mini a great coffee maker for all you single-serve coffee needs. Pour over ice to create your favorite Iced Coffee drinks.
What's to like about the Nespresso Essenza Mini Espresso Machine
- Fast 30-second heat-up time
- Powers off after 9 minutes and goes into standby mode after 3 minutes, saving energy
- Compact size makes it portable and easy to store
What's not to like about the Nespresso Essenza Mini Espresso Machine
- Small water reservoir isn’t ideal if you drink a lot of coffee
Enjoying a great espresso doesn’t have to cost you an arm and a leg. In fact, you can make some of the best coffee you will ever had right from the comfort of your kitchen. As you can tell, there are several espresso machines that are great options.
However, our top recommendation for the best espresso machine under $200 is the Nespresso Essenza Mini Espresso Machine because of its fast heat-up time, its compact size, its auto power-off features and the wonderfully thick crema the machine produces. This machine is ideal for home, work, or traveling, and it is hard to find a machine that offers as much value for under $200.