Bodum French Presses have always been one of the most popular French presses throughout the world. Everything that Bodum makes is known to be high-quality, in addition to being aesthetically-pleasing and easy to use.
Since Bodum happens to have some of the most popular French presses, and many people seem to have a lot of inquiries about them, we are dedicating this article to answering these questions for you.
Introduction to Bodum and Bodum French Presses
Bodum, Inc. is a tableware and kitchenware company founded by Peter Bodum in Copenhagen, Denmark, in 1944. In 1978, the son of Peter and the new CEO, Jørgen Bodum, moved the company to Switzerland.
Bodum is a leading brand in the French press world. Their French presses are the best representation of the traditional glass French press.
With its steel screen design and the addition of a second slotted filter in the lid, the coffee made with a Bodum French press is nearly free of grounds, making a smooth cup of coffee.
How Does a Bodum French Press Work?
French press is by far the quickest and easiest way to brew a cup of coffee. Here’s how a Bodum French press works:
- Pre-heat the Bodum French press by pouring in some hot water.
- Weigh your coffee. The standard measurement is 8g of coffee grounds to 4 ounces of water.
- Boil the water.
- Grind the beans after measuring them.
- Dump out the warming water and add the ground coffee to the Bodum French press.
- Add boiling water to the coffee grounds and stir it.
- Set a timer for about 4 minutes and relax while you wait.
- Slowly push the plunger down until it hits the bottom.
- Pour your fresh French press coffee into your favorite mug and enjoy a delicious cup of coffee.
Bonus Tip: Don’t let the coffee sit in the French press for too long because it will burn and become bitter.
Does the Bodum French Press Have Different Sizes and Designs?
Fortunately, Bodum makes French presses in different sizes, colors, and materials. Typically, Bodum’s French presses are available in these sizes:
- 3 cups – 12 oz.
- 8 cups – 34 oz.
- 12 cups – 51 oz.
Please note that the calculation for these cup sizes is based on 4 oz. cups – the standard cup size in Europe. So, if you are using a standard mug size in the U.S. (which is between 8 oz. to 12 oz.) a 3-cup Bodum French press would make a little over just a mug for you.
Make sure to keep this in mind when choosing the right size for your needs. French presses also come in different designs and colors, ranging from classic stainless steel to colored plastic.
Bodum French Press Parts
If your Bodum French Press breaks, don’t worry! Buying its replacement parts is quite easy. French presses have several small parts, but there are three main components that you should look at when selecting a Bodum French Press. The three main components of a French press are:
The carafe holds the water and coffee, and they have a small spout for pouring the brewed coffee out of. Bodum French Press carafes are made of tempered glass, stainless steel, or plastic – each of these materials has advantages and disadvantages.
- Tempered glass does not interfere with the brewing process, plus it looks aesthetically pleasing. However, it breaks easily.
- Stainless steel does not interfere with the brewing process and doesn’t break. However, it is opaque so you can’t see the brewed coffee.
- Plastic. Some people claim that plastic is not as good for brewing coffee as it may affect its taste. However, it does not break easily.
All plungers consist of a plunger, filter, and handle. As you push down the handle, the filter moves down and forces the ground coffee to the bottom of the carafe. When looking at a plunger, make sure to inspect the side of the filter.
If the filter’s edges are made of plastic, the plastic will break down over time, particularly if it is put in the dishwasher. After a few months or years, ground coffee will slip through the cracks in the plastic edges. On the other hand, metal edges will not degrade – they will last forever unless they are bent.
The lid is a basic piece; however, there are some slight variations among tops. The lids on cheaper French presses often do not block heat from escaping through the carafe spout while the coffee is brewing. On the other hand, high-quality French presses have a guard that will keep heat from escaping through the gap.
When you are ready to pour the coffee, you can twist these lids so the pass through the spout is free from any barrier. Other parts of a Bodum French press includes:
- Stainless Steel Spiral Plate
The stainless steel spiral plate keeps the filter mesh in position and ensures that water goes through, but no ground coffee. This flexible spiral provides a universal fit, taking into consideration the manufacturing tolerance of glass jugs.
- Stainless Steel Filter Plate
The stainless steel filter plate is an essential component of Bodum French presses. Essentially, it separates the ground coffee beans from the water after the brewing process has stopped.
Which Bodum French Press Should I Get?
Here are our top recommended Bodum French Presses.
- Bodum Brazil 8-Cup French Press Coffee Maker.
This is a simple French press that is available in three colors – black, red, and green. It is capable of brewing 1 L or 8 cups of coffee.
It features a patented safety lid that prevents spilling and splashing while pressing. All parts are dishwasher safe.
Bodum 1-Liter 8-Cup Coffee Make Brazil French Press, 34 Ounce, Red
- 8 cup French Press Coffeemaker allows you to brew flavorful coffee in 4 minutes
- 3-Part stainless steel mesh filter is included which allows for a premium extraction of your coffee aromatic oils and subtle flavors
- No paper filters required, means more flavor without any waste
- Patented safety lid prevents splashing of liquids while pressing
- Dishwasher-safe for quicker cleaning
- Bodum Stainless Steel Travel French Press.
With its vacuum-sealed, double-wall construction, this stainless steel French press makes delicious coffee on the go and keeps it hot for hours. This French press allows you to brew coffee on the go and drink from the same container when ready.
You simply have to add coarsely ground coffee, hot water, and seal the lid for a tasty, freshly pressed cup in minutes. It also features a spill-resistant lid, a built-in plunger, and a non-slip grip for easy travel.
Bodum Travel Press Coffee and Tea Press, Stainless Steel Insulated Travel Press, 15 Ounce, Red
- Travel Coffee maker: brew Coffee or tea on the go and drink from same container when ready; enjoy your daily fix wherever you are
- Quick and easy: Simply add coarsely ground Coffee, hot water and seal the lid for a delicious, freshly pressed cup in minutes
- Stainless steel: made of vacuum-sealed, double-wall construction, this stainless steel travel mug keeps beverages hot or cold for several hours
- Durable design: French press mug features a Spill resistant lid, built-in plunger and colorful, silicone, non-slip grip for easy Travel
- On the go mug: Travel mug holds 15 oz. of Coffee or tea and is dishwasher safe for easy cleaning
- Bodum Chambord 8 cup French Press Coffee Maker.
Unlike some French presses, it is possible to make coffee for one person using Bodum Chambord. All you have to do is fill it up with water, coffee grounds, and push the plunger.
It will brew you just the perfect cup, regardless of the quantity. It features a stainless steel frame, a heat-resistant handle, and heat and scratch-resistant borosilicate glass beaker. It also features a 3-part stainless steel mesh filter for optimal extraction. All parts are dishwasher safe.
Bodum Chambord 8 Cup French Press Coffee Maker with Locking Lid, Stainless Steel, 34-Ounce
- Brews flavorful coffee in 4 minutes
- New design allows lid to close off spout to prevent spilling and better temperature control
- Beaker made of ultra-light, heat-resistant borosilicate glass; handle and plunger knob made of bpa free plastic
- 3-part stainless steel mesh filter helps extract your coffee's aromatic oils and subtle flavor
- All parts are dishwasher safe
The Bottom Line
French presses are a simple, classy way to brew coffee. Despite their simplicity, they make excellent coffee. If you are considering buying one for yourself, make sure to consider Bodum French Presses as they are some of the best in the market.