Tired of spending so much money at pricey cafés just to get a decent cup of espresso? The Nespresso Pixie Espresso Machine might be the answer to your next caffeine craving!
If you want a good cup of espresso but aren’t quite ready for an espresso machine, this efficient and compact single-serve coffee maker might be the answer to your needs. Read our Nespresso Pixie review (+ a closer look at the Nespresso Red Pixie Lungo Cups) to find out why so many espresso enthusiasts absolutely love this coffee machine.
The Nespresso Pixie Machine Review
The Nespresso Pixie is one of the most compact single-serve espresso machines out on the market. Plus, Pixie heats up in 25 – 30 seconds and brews quality espresso in another 30 seconds, making it one of the fastest machines available today. The Pixie is part of Nespresso’s Original Espresso Maker Line.
Nespresso Pixie Features
The Nespresso Pixie design allows espresso lovers to enjoy an espresso in the comfort of their own home instead of going out to a coffee shop and paying someone else to make it for them. It’s also less messy compared to other at-home espresso units.
The Nespresso Pixie Espresso Machine by De’Longhi offers avant-garde design with elegance and functionality. Equipped with a wide range of advanced features, the Pixie machine is energy efficient with a surprisingly compact design. Only 11 cm wide, it uses hardly any space and is perfect for smaller urban kitchens. At only 3.6 kg it is also easily portable.
The one-touch buttons with two cup capacities (Espresso and Lungo) can be reprogrammed to custom volumes and are backlit for ease of use. The 19 bar high-pressure pump allows for a barista-style result, unlocking the delicate flavor and premium aromas of each coffee capsule during the brewing process and creating an incomparably dense and unctuous crema.
The fast heat-up system reaches the ideal temperature in just 25 seconds, while the automatic power-off function means that the machine turns off 9 minutes after the last use.
Streamlined for maximum efficiency, this espresso maker lives up to Nespresso’s reputation for high-end technology. Each machine includes a welcome set with 14 Nespresso capsules containing individual aromas.
This machine is a convenient option for those who either live alone or are the only ones in the household who drink espresso. Below is a closer look at Nespresso Pixie’s main features to help you decide if this machine is right for you.
- Ultra-compact design. Elegant profile (11.1cm W x 23.5cm H x 32.6cm L) perfect for urbanites with limited kitchen counter space.
- Espresso and Lungo. The one-touch buttons with two cup capacities (Espresso and Lungo) can be reprogrammed to custom volumes and are backlit for ease of use. The folding drip tray accommodates differing cup sizes for espresso and milk coffee lovers alike.
- High Pressure Pump and Perfect Heat Control System. The 19-bar high-pressure pump allows for a barista–style result, unlocking the delicate flavor and premium aromas of each coffee capsule during the brewing process and creating an incomparably dense and unctuous cream. The fast heat-up system reaches the ideal temperature in just 25 seconds.
- Empty Water Tank Alert. Red backlights along the sides of the machine light up to alert you when you need to refill the water tank. With the automatic power-off function, the machine turns off 9 minutes after the last use, consuming less energy.
- Nespresso Capsule System. The Nespresso capsule system delivers exceptional taste and unique aromas thanks to the preparation of high-quality coffees in hermetically sealed and recyclable aluminum capsules for coffee enjoyment at the highest level.
- Easy Maintenance. The Nespresso Pixie is a very low maintenance machine. It doesn’t require any tune-ups or adjustments. All that you need to do to keep the machine functioning well is to descale it every 6 months. Descaling the machine gets rid of calcium deposits that can affect the taste of your coffee as well as its functionality. The descaling process only takes around 20 minutes.
Nespresso Accessories: Nespresso Red Pixie Lungo Cups
Nespresso Accessories, such as the Nespresso Red Pixie Lungo Cups, are the perfect complement to your coffee and you can enjoy it in the special moments of your life. You will be able to find everything from cute cups to enjoy your coffee every day or a travel mug to take it wherever you go, to capsule containers that will give a special touch to your coffee space.
Every Nespresso Coffee has its own personality, distinct aromas and embodies the soul of its origins. They are categorized by cup size and level of intensity. Nespresso offers 4 ranges of coffees to be enjoyed Ristretto (25 ml), Espresso (40 ml), Lungo (110 ml), Decaffeinated (40 ml and 110 ml), or Flavored (40 ml).
The most basic model (Nespresso Pixie) has two cup sizes: Espresso (40mL) and Lungo (110mL).
Calibrating Your Nespresso Machine. One of the best features of the Nespresso makers is that the cup sizes can be adjusted, and the machine will memorize the exact amount of water to use to brew your espresso through calibration. Calibrating is simple to do on each machine and offers complete customization of the cup size options.
Here’s a quick guide to calibrating your Pixie to accommodate Nespresso Red Pixie Lungo Cups:
- Power on the Nespresso Pixie and fill the water tank in the back with filtered water.
- When the lights are no longer blinking, place a Nespresso pod in the pod compartment.
- Choose the cup size that you want and hold the button down.
- Release the button once you’ve reached your desired amount. Your Pixie will remember this exact amount until you reset it.
Resetting the Nespresso Pixie:
- Turn off your Nespresso Pixie.
- Hold down the Lungo button and turn it back on while holding down the button.
- Your Nespresso Pixie is now restored to factory settings.
Nespresso Pixie Reviews
Wondering if the Nespresso Pixie is the right machine for you? Here are some reviews from users:
“We bought this for our RV because we have a lot of experience with Nespresso machines. Yes you have to buy the coffee capsules from Nespresso and it is not cheap, but they have an excellent re-cycle system, nothing is thrown away. It just makes coffee that we have always drunk. There is a large variety from weak to strong to Decaf. It is clean & easy & to be recommended.” – Carolyn
“It still appears to be a quality build (made by DeLonghi in Italy) and it does seem quieter when making espresso. Do not give a warning when low on water – the original turned red. The Water tray is thinner and lighter and has two very thin lock latches on the back of the water tray lid – hopefully, this will hold up over time. The power button has changed slightly. Still makes good espresso-like coffee. It is still easy to use.” – Larry
“Love it! Makes great espresso and I appreciate the capsules being recyclable. Easy to use and you can also just press the button without a capsule inside it if you just want some hot water for tea. It came with a code to sign up and receive a discount on a frother from Nespresso which was odd since it came with one. Hopefully, those buying just the machine received that as well.
You can also receive another free gift if you purchase specific capsule bundles that they curated. The only reason I didn’t give it 5 stars is that it’s very very very loud and when you’re using it early in the morning around 5:30-6 am it seems even louder. I wish I knew how to muffle the sound of the motor. If anyone knows please share the info.” – Lilly
“Just received my first ever espresso machine and already enjoyed my first latte. It’s very straightforward and easy except: The instructions for use did not specify that for the cleaning cycle you have to use hot water. So, when nothing was happening I had to call the customer service. After having to dump the cold water from the tank, refilled it with hot water, I was able to complete the clean cycle, changed the water to fresh cold water, and make my first latte.
I also have a slight problem with the frothier. Although I only filled it up to the top max line, the volume was pushed from under the lid and all over the counter. I will need to learn to adjust the volume of milk to make sure I do not create a mess. Other than those minor adjustments, the combo is just what I was hoping for.” – Anuita
“Outstanding! We considered several Nespresso machines and came down to the Pixie and the Inissia. We picked the Pixie, and I couldn’t be happier. It is a very well-built, high-quality machine, and makes great-tasting espresso very quickly. It is amazingly simple to use and goes from off, to ready to brew in about 10-15 seconds. If you are considering a Nespresso machine, this is a great one to buy.” – Shawn
The Bottom Line The Nespresso Pixie makes a decent cup of espresso with a lot less mess compared to your typical espresso machine. Plus, its simple design and user-friendly features (along with its accessories like the Nespresso Red Pixie Lungo Cups) make it easy for even novice espresso drinkers to brew a good quality drink. It brews a shot of espresso fast, so you can get the caffeine boost that you need and get back to whatever you need to do.