Coffee makers are one of the most regularly used appliances in the modern home. But, over time, you may have noticed the flavor of your coffee changing from when you first purchased your coffee maker.
Often, people take a lot of care to make their coffee and prepare it correctly, but they don’t really worry about spending time cleaning the thing that makes their coffee.
Like any other appliance, you need to keep your coffee maker clean. One of the common ways that you can do so is by cleaning it with apple cider vinegar. You want to make sure you get the most from your coffee maker. Read on to learn how to clean coffee maker with apple cider vinegar.
Why should you clean your coffee maker?
There are many reasons why cleaning your coffee machine should be a priority. First, a coffee maker has some of the highest concentrations of bacteria in your kitchen. Heat, organic material (coffee), and water all come together to make one awesome breeding ground for germs and mold. This makes drinking coffee from a dirty coffee maker unhealthy and unhygienic.
Cleaning your coffee maker with apple cider vinegar helps remove built-up oils, grounds, and muck. This not only help your coffee maker work better, but your coffee will taste better too. Additionally, you maker will have a cleaner flow, which means you won’t waste any coffee grounds.
Keeping your coffee maker clean is just as important as keeping any other part of your kitchen clean, both for your health and your coffee maker’s efficiency.
Apple cider vinegar helps clean out mold, germs, and other bacteria that grow in your coffee maker over time. But, in addition to using vinegar, the coffee maker needs to dry out properly every week to reduce the moisture that can build up in the maker. Mold and bacteria thrive in moist environments, so this one extra step can help kill spores and germs that manage to grow in your coffee maker.
Another factor that influences matters is what type of water you use when making your coffee. If you use pure, filtered water, the less likely you are to have buildup. There are many minerals found in tap water, especially if your water is hard. These minerals can clog up your coffee maker over time.
Check out this Coffee Maker from Amazon
Mr. Coffee 5 Cup Programmable 25 oz. Mini, Brew Now or Later, with Water Filtration and Nylon Reusable Filter, Coffee Maker, Black | $26.24
Buy on Amazon
Method on How to Clean Coffee Maker with Apple Cider Vinegar
Vinegar is commonly used in cleaning – both white vinegar and apple cider vinegar. They both have the same effect on the cleaning of your coffee maker, so if you have run out of apple cider vinegar, you can use white vinegar.
- Fill your coffee maker with two parts water and one part apple cider vinegar.
- Run your maker as if you were making coffee.
- If your coffee maker allows you to pause brewing, do so for a few minutes to let the apple cider vinegar really clean and de-scale the maker.
- Once the machine has run, rinse your coffee maker out with clean water.
- Fill your coffee maker with water and run it again.
- Empty the water, rinse again, and you are done.
You may also want to replace your charcoal filter once and a while. The water then goes into the reservoir passes through this filter when moving towards the heating element. By regularly replacing the filter, you will see a reduction in mineral buildup inside your coffee maker, which result in much better tasting coffee.
Cleaning a coffee maker is cheap and easy to do, but many people see it as a chore, keeping them from maintaining their machine as they should do.
Apple cider vinegar vs. white vinegar – what’s the difference?
Regarding being used as a cleaning agent, they are both an acidic liquid which achieves great results when used for cleaning a coffee maker. Depending on where you live, white vinegar is typically cheaper and it leaves a less recognizable taste behind. However, apple cider vinegar has far more health benefits than white vinegar, including being a natural antibiotic and is good at killing off harmful germs and bacteria.
There are many different cleaning detergents you can use to clean your coffee maker; however, using a natural cleaner rather than a chemical or de-scaler will help keep you healthier. It is also more cost-effective to use natural products such as apple cider vinegar to clean household appliances. Considering that most people typically keep apple cider vinegar in the fridge as a staple, it is readily available, safe for the environment, safe for you and your family, and it saves you money.
Cleaning your coffee maker with apple cider vinegar is not a difficult task, so take note of our steps above to get your coffee maker sparkling clean in no time.
Check out these related products from Amazon
- Special edition: Complement your kitchen with the premium nickel colored finish, metal handle and drip tray
- 4 cup sizes: 6, 8, 10, and 12 ounces
- Simple button controls: Just insert any k cup pod and use the button controls to brew delicious coffee, or make hot or iced lattes and cappuccinos.120v
- Large 60 ounces water reservoir: Allows you to brew 6 cups before having to refill, saving you time and simplifying your morning routine; Removable reservoir makes refilling easy
- Smart start: Your coffee maker heats, then brews in one simple process; No need to wait for it to heat before selecting your cup size
- On/off indicator light lets you know when your coffee maker is on or off
- Grab a cup auto pause stops cycle if you need a cup before brewing is finished
- Dual water window allows visibility as you fill no more overflows
- Lift and clean filter basket for fast and easy clean up
- Easy cord storage eliminates counter clutter. Watts: 900
- What’s in the box: One water filter handle, and one filter to help ensure your beverages taste their absolute best.
- Brews multiple cup sizes: (6, 8, 10, 12 ounce). Enjoy the most popular cup sizes all with quiet brew technology, minimizing noise during use.
- Strong brew: Kicks up your coffee’s strength and intensity. Programmable auto off
- Large 52 ounce water reservoir: Allows you to brew 5 cups before having to refill, saving you time and simplifying your morning routine. Removable reservoir makes refilling easy
- Simple button controls: Just insert a pod, select your desired cup brew size, and get fast & fresh brewed, delicious coffee in minutes.